Tuesday, October 31, 2006

To Become Wealthy: Inspiration to change


Sometimes all it takes is one little thing to inspire me. At other times the message needs to be repeated over and over and over again. Hearing the same message repeated in different ways cements it in my mind. My inspiration to become wealthy first came from my husband. Once we got engaged and started planning our lives together I began to see how I wanted so much more from life than what I had. My eyes began to open. They just did not know what they were looking for. I wanted so much more, but I did not know all of the options that were available to me. That is when we began discussing real estate and passive income. I realized that these were not just things that rich people can do, but things that anyone can do.

This weekend, on public television, I saw Robert Kiyosaki and his wife speak in an effort to sell some of their products about investing and building wealthy. They were also promoting a weekend long seminar of investment gurus at the Javits Center in NY. For anyone unfamiliar with him, he is the man behind the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series (richdad.com). I admire what he and his wife are doing. They both possess a lot of intelligence about money and how to make it. The best part is their passion to share their knowledge with everyone else. They have had tremendous success and they are trying to teach others how to be successful too. They are worthy of my admiration and have certainly been a source of continuing inspiration for me.

I want to add in a small point here about my journey to become wealthy. One of my other major goals in life is to be a philanthropist. Wealth just happens to be a prerequisite for that.

During the past year, I have read one of the books in the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series, called “Cash Flow Quadrant”. The book does not tell you how to buy or sell real estate, but it give a whole new perspective on money. It brings up simple ideas about how your money should be working for you, instead of you working for your money. After reading it I felt like I had an entirely different view of my life, and the lives of those around me. I can not longer imagine working for the next 30 years for other people. How other people have managed to do it, I will never again understand or accept. I have so many things that I want to do with my life and none of them involve spending 40 hours a week in a cubicle.

Another gentleman that I listened too before beginning this blog was Steve Pavlina (stevepavlina.com). He is a personal development guru. He is responsible for inspiring me to write this blog. He does not have anything to do with real estate development, but he has a lot of wonderful ways of looking at life that are very inspirational. If you are not ready to jump in and change your life just yet, go and read what he has to say. He also has several pod casts that are also great to listen to. I find the tone of his voice and his manner of speaking to be very comforting.

Please let me know if there is anyone else out there that has inspired you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful of listening to everything Kyosaki has to say for himself and taking it as gospel.

When you think about it, he makes most of his money from selling books, games, online services and other merchandise. He's built a brand that has a lot more clout than his prior investments ever did. There's a lot to learn just by watching how he makes money now... compared to what he writes about.

Check out these links for more info:
After Reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad this guy quit his job to launch a career in real estate.
I am Facing Foreclosure - this guy is also highly inspired by Kyosaki, but he's in serious trouble!
Lastly, John T. Reed vs. Robert Kyosaki This post has information and links to more information about Kyosaki. There are a lot of factual inconsistencies in his books.


Interesting info. As always, good luck!

To Become Wealthy said...

I am a closet skeptic. I read alot of John T. Reed when I first began investigating real estate investment. He can debunk anyone. However, I also try to find some good in everything.
Kyosaki may be embellishing some of his stories if not making them up entirely. That is fine with me. I have been inspired by true works of fiction before, so there is no reason not to be inpired by partial works of fiction too.
People need to take a grain of salt with everything they read and hear. It is not wise to follow in the foot steps of any one person.
If Kyosaki or any other real estate gurus made a lot of money with investing, they did not do it in 2006. Most of them started years ago, and the world has changed a lot since then. Our investing strategies need to change too.

Find a Property To Invest In