Wednesday, November 22, 2006

To Become Wealthy: The Master Plan



Ultimately the question is ,”How do I want to live my life?” I never aspired to be a real estate investor. I have no training or formal education in this area. I am enjoying what I am doing so far, but it is far from what I would call one of my passions. However, I am passionate about making large bank deposits.

I am investing in real estate as a mean to an end. That end is financial freedom. To be able to do what I choose with my time. To not have to make a contract with someone for 40 hours a week of my time for only $40,000/ year. I want my time to be my own and my families. Time is the ultimate currency for me.

My husband has different reasons. His passions is to start a company of is own. He is a web designer and a graphic designer. He has some innovative ideas on how to run a business in this field. He plans on starting his own blog about it some day soon. So for him the money w make from real estate investing will free him up to pursue his passion and make a real go at his own business. Of course if it also frees up my time, I will be able to be by his side to help him along the way however I can.


We have done a lot of taking and planning for the next few years of our lives together. We have already survived the wedding and the first home buying. Now we are trying to figure out who should leave the rat race first. We have discovered that it takes a decent amount of time to look thru properties and prepare to purchase them. So we decided that if I stay home from work that I would do most of the work to manage the real estate investments and expand our portfolio.

I make less than he does, so in one way it makes sense for me to leave my job first. We are also planning on starting a family next year and the mother is traditionally the one that stays home with the children. This is something that I look forward to being able to do. Even though both of the grandparents are hoping to be able to take care of any babies during the work week, I would rather have that responsibility myself. My plan is to have any potential baby sitters come over during the day to give me the freedom to attempt to have uninterrupted time to manage our investments. Those of you out there that are already parents may be laughing at this plan, but I think I am allowed to dream.


The other option is for my husband to leave his job first to pursue his own design business. If he can do this free from most financial stresses his can take more risks, try more things, and do what he needs to do to take this business from just a start-up to a self supporting entity. All while I have the rat race job and the health insurance.

Health insurance. This is the real issue that keeps me in the rat race. I am too dependant on other people paying for it. I did a quick search for rates for small businesses. We are planning on holding our properties in an LLC that we would purchase the policies under. It would be approx $8-10,000/year for the two of us, more if we have any children. Of course we can just calculate this into our numbers and be done with it, but some mental block I have makes me worry about it. For me it is the largest issue that we face when deciding when to give up our day jobs.

Oh how I dream about giving up my day job……

No comments:

Find a Property To Invest In