Tuesday, December 05, 2006

To Become Wealthy: Learning Something New



I was reminded today of something I had learned about sometime last year that I was very excited about, and then moments later it was invalid. It is a method that some investors use to get back money at the closing. What happens is the buyer applies for a mortgage at an amount that is higher than what the seller really wants for the property. Of course that stated higher amount must be written in the contract. And then at the closing the seller gives the buyer cash back to help with the closing costs. It is a way of rolling the closing costs or a portion of the down payment into the mortgage costs.

When I first read about it I did not think it all that likely to be true. After all it was part of a no-money-down-deal or something similar. I do not really recall where exactly I first saw it, but since then I have seen references to it, and legitimate references at that.

So, while we were discussing our latest bid and the fact that the seller is willing to give us credit to redo the exterior of the building I thought that this might be one of those instances where we would get a mortgage for the higher amount and receive cash back at the closing to cover the repairs. Of course this really perked my interest. Cash in hand is a good thing.

But then when I inquired further with my realtor she told me that those sort of cash-back-at-closing deals are illegal in Texas. The credit we would receive for this property would be held in escrow until any work was completed, and then paid directly to the contractor.

What I learned today: Follow your first instinct. It will be the right one.

No comments:

Find a Property To Invest In