Saturday, January 27, 2007

Dallas Contract Revisions

I just wanted to add in a quick update on the progress of the property in Dallas that we are under contract for. When we had the inspection done, it turned up more than we expected. The seller had already told us that the exterior siding and stucco needed to be replaced and that he would be giving us a credit for it at closing. It turns out that the roof also needed to be replaced. There were a number of other minor things that could be fixed also. So, we wrote up an amendment to the contract asking for these minor repairs and for the credit at closing to also include replacing the roof. I had a nervous couple of days. and then the seller agreed to everything that we had asked for. I expected a little bit more of a debate, but I am pleased with the way things turned out. The seller is now getting more estimates for repairs, so we do not yet know how much the credit will be for.

I have also been busy trying to find a good mortgage. At first I went to a broker, but I have not been please with the lack of information and the amount of points and fees. There have to be better deals out there and I am trying to find them. Loans are expensive enough already without all of the additional fees that are added on. What is the purpose of points anyway?

This week I will also be securing insurance for the property. The company that we currently use for our home and automobiles also covers Texas. Someone recently recommended an umbrella policy as a extra method of protection from litigation, so I will be inquiring about the detaisl for that.

Lots of work, so little time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about this. (found you at Rich Dad forum) Very informative. I have purchased my first and second rental homes in Austin this year. I hope to soon move on to bigger apt. buildings and higher cashflows. My goal is to buy a house for myself in Los Angeles. Not an inexpensive goal.

To Become Wealthy said...

Thank you for your comments. It is always good to hear when people find my site informative.
Good luck with all of your present and future real estate ventures!!!!

Find a Property To Invest In