Sunday, January 21, 2007

Real Estate Business Systems

Real Estate Investing takes a lot of work, but it is the best source of passive income.

That sentence does not make any sense, does it? How can something be passive and take a lot of work to do? The answer is that it starts out as a lot of work, but with the proper systems in place it becomes passive (at least for the person who sets up the system).

I do not yet have our business system set up, and the details of its final form have yet to be worked out, (and will change a dozen times before reaching the end), but I know what my goals for it are. It needs to be able to run with very little input from me or my husband. The hard work comes in setting up those systems.

Once the property has been bought and all of the needed repairs and management put into place, I want very little to do with each property every day. I am not saying that I expect never to do anything for it ever again. The management company will send reports about the property, and I will need to make decisions in the future about any repairs that need to be made. But this should not take more than a few hours a month, if even that.

I do not want to have employees or even an office outside of my home that I need to go to everyday. I want to have client relationships with people and businesses. They will do whatever portion of the real estate process that they specialize in and just charge a fee. I do not ever want to deal with payroll or health insurance that is not my families.

I am not a lazy person. I was raised with good work ethics, but I want my time to be free for other investments. If I am too busy managing the details of properties than how am I supposed to have to time purchase and run hundreds more.

There is another side to this picture also. I hear so many people say that they bought real estate with “private investor money”. Those private investors are making passive income. They have money to invest and it is being invested in real estate. Other people are finding the deals for them and using their money to buy it. I am sure that some of those deals are not only set up based on a quick ROI%, but based on long-term equity in the property.

I am constantly amazed at how many ways there are to make money in real estate.

No comments:

Find a Property To Invest In